Production and Capacity
Up to 1 million clonal cuttings each month
Yuruga Nursery is the largest nursery in tropical Australia, measured by production capacity, turnover and numbers of staff employed.
The nursery production area occupies a floor space of 25,000 sq metres, including:
- Tissue Culture Laboratory
- Cutting Houses – 2,500 sq metres
- Growing-on areas in shade – 4,000 sq metres
- Growing-on areas in full sun – 16,000 sq metres
- Seed-germination house, Work sheds, Plant packing shed, Office, Retail Area and other facilities.
Production is by seed, tissue culture and cutting propagation.
In the General Production Section (Yuruga Nursery) production runs of between 1,000 and 5,000 plants per species are the norm, while some species (eg cabinet timber species) are produced in runs of up to 50,000. In contrast, a wide range of species is also produced in small runs of only a hundred or so.
For most plants grown at Yuruga Nursery provenance information is known and can be provided if this is necessary for you. Provenanced batches can be grown to order.
Click here for our latest Stock List.
In the Mass Production Section (Clonal Solutions Australia is a spin-off company of Yuruga Nursery), elite clonal varieties are produced at the rate of 1 million cuttings per month (or 12 million plants per year) and the Tissue Culture Laboratory has a production capacity of 1 million plantlets per year.
Experience and achievements:
- produced over 10 million tea-tree clones for agriculture
- produced over 10 million eucalypt clones for forestry
- screened over 1000 different eucalypt clones for commercial viability of propagation process
- produced over 6 million cloned teak plants for tropical forestry plantations
- produced 1.5 million Saltgrow™ eucalypt clones for forestry and rehabilitation of saline land.
The nursery’s R&D section is dedicated to introducing and commercialising new clonal crops such as Corymbia, Khaya, Cocoa, and Biodiesels.